May 25, 2011
Join the Michigan CHI on May 25th for a discussion of how people evaluate the credibility of information online. Professor Soo Young Rieh of the University of Michigan’s School of Information will share her latest research on the Credibility 2.0 project which examines people’s credibility judgments within the context of their use of various types of Web 2.0 tools while engaging in diverse online activities.
Through this project, she is investigating questions such as:
- How do people decide where to start when trying to find information?
- How do people decide whether or not they can trust information?
- What heuristics do people employ when evaluating the credibility of information?
- How are people’s Web 2.0 activities related to their levels of trust and satisfaction?
- To what extent do people rely on credibility heuristics when they use content from Web 2.0 sites?
The event will be held 6:30pm to 8:30pm in the Ehrlicher Room at the University of Michigan’s School of Information. More details and registration at the Michigan CHI website.
Thanks to our partnership and support, MIUPA members have been offered a discount to attend the second Agile and Beyond Conference, to be held March 12, 2011 at the Conference and Event Center in Dearborn, Michigan.
Mary Poppendieck, noted author on lean software development, is the morning keynote speaker and David Hussman, well-known Agile Coach, provides the closing keynote address.
The conference features breakout sessions, lunch and workshops featuring regional experts on a variety of relevant topics. In addition, Tom Kubit will facilitate Open Space meetings throughout the day for impromptu discussion. The conference wraps up with a panel discussion featuring Poppendieck and Hussman.
Check out the complete list of conference presenters andsessions. Register before January 31 for a significant discount. Use the discount code “MiUPA” when you register (note: the discount code is case-sensitive).
This looks to be a great event! It’s not often we have conferences of this type that are held locally.
October 19th – 20th, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Humantech is partnering with System Concepts to present this new course which will provide your organization with everything needed to put users at the heart of your design process. Whether your priority is human-computer interaction, industrial design, or the user experience you’ll learn how to understand your users better and design products which are effective, efficient, and satisfying to use. User-centered design techniques will help you complete projects to time and budget, getting the maximum return from your investment.
Humantech and System Concepts are extending a special offer to the members of the Usability Professionals Association and it’s friends to either:
- Save $200 off the registration fee by using the discount code DESIGN when registering online, or
- Register one get one free by contacting Humantech directly (contact krobertson at humantech.com)
Michigan UPA chapter co-sponsors the IxDA Lansing kickoff meeting.
Thursday, September 16, 2010, 6 to 8pm
The MiUPA is proud to co-sponsor the inauguaral meeting of IxDA Lansing, which will be held at Techsmith headquarters in Okemos.
Details and registration information is available at the IxDA Lansing website.
The Lansing chapter of the Interaction Design Association is forming to build a community of creative thinkers and problem solvers from across Michigan to share ideas, education and inspiration around creating better experiences. Learn more about IxDA Lansing.
ISDA Michigan free all-day conference, Transportation Design: Expanding the Frontiers
Friday, September 17, 2010, 8:00am to 4:30 pm
Michigan State University, Troy Campus, Troy, MI
The Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) Michigan Chapter would like to extend this invitation to the MiUPA membership to attend this free all-day event (registration required):
Theme: “Transportation Design: Expanding the Frontiers”
More details and registration information is available at the conference micro site: www.midesignexchange.com
Registration is now open and is at no cost, (for this year), but is mandatory. Seating is limited to 300
Please register by sending an email to the conference chair, Jeevak Badve: firstname.lastname@example.org Registration will be confirmed by receipt a confirmation number. Please register only if you can really make it for the whole day.
- Christopher E. Borroni-Bird, General Motors, Director of Advanced Technology Vehicle Concepts
- Major General Bradley M Lott, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret), CEO True North Logistics
- Dave Allendorph, Navistar, Chief Design Officer, Global Industrial Design
- David A. Muyres, VP, Huntgreenllc, Newnorthcenter, OngoingTransportaion.
- John Manoogian, Founder / President, Forzablitz Design
- Stu Shuster, Industrial Design Department, the University of Cincinnati
- Richard Wallace, Director, Transportation Systems Practice Area, Center for Automotive Research
- Dana W. Clarke, President and CEO, Applied Innovation Alliance, LLC